Friday, April 10, 2009

Herbal tonic

For two weeks now, I have been taking the herbal tonic concocted for me by my naturopath. She told me that the components in a tonic can be individualised according to a person's needs. Here I share the components in my tonic, and some information I found online about them:

1. Paeonia. The indication for peony is as a uterine relaxant, hence helping relieve pain and dysfunction associated with the menses. Other indications of note are nourishing the blood and relaxing general spasms in the body.


2. Chaste tree. Boosts progesterone. In this manner, it promotes regulation of the menstrual cycle.


3. Schisandra. Liver tonic. Aids in battling stress and exhaustion.


4. False unicorn root. Ovarian tonic. Another herb that is used for treating dysmenorrhea.


5. Ginger. Digestion and circulation. Also aids in normal blood clotting.


6. Liquorice. Bowel health. I was also told it was meant to make the overall taste of the tonic tolerable for me. Also generally for asthma and auto-immune disorders. Most important of all, taking care of the bowel as for the increased meat intake I will be having, to prevent bowel cancer.


Within a few days of drinking the tonic, I've been able to stop drinking coffee in the mornings altogether. I find more energy during the day. Also find myself feeling lighter during the day, and relaxed during the night. Right now I am on my third week on it, and I will meet with my naturopath again next month for possible revision to the quantities in the tonic. But I imagine that the components will remain pretty much the same.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the herbal tonic is making a difference. Your naturopath has obviously listened to you.

    Yeah, do discuss the componets of the tonic with your naturopath. You may also like to consider varying the dose you take.

    You don't necessarily want any of the herbs to accumulate in your body.

    Whatever you take, always listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete